[RELEASE] Sweep Visualizer BETA v0.11.0 Release Notes
Today we released an updated version of the visualizer! You can download it here: http://scanse.io/downloads.
Note: This version (v0.11.0) of the visualizer assumes the sweep device is running firmware v1.1 or later. If your device is running firmware v1.0, please upgrade the visualizer and then immediately upgrade the firmware from within the new visualizer before attempting to do anything else. Instructions for updating firmware are available here: https://support.scanse.io/hc/en-us/articles/224557908-Upgrading-Firmware.
Note: We have switched to different type of windows installer. So, you may have to uninstall the previous version (v0.9.0 or v0.10.0) or its possible you'll see both versions installed.
This release brings new features, and bug fixes. However, we are still calling this release the "Sweep Visualizer BETA" because the application will see rapid development, with patches and new features released frequently. To track these changes we have adopted a semantic version scheme which takes the form "Major.Minor.Patch". Therefore this release is a minor version increment over the previous release (0.10.0 -> 0.11.0).
For each release we will create a pinned (sticky) thread, just like this one, in the "Announcements and Releases" category. These threads will provide release notes, but we also encourage users to post here about bugs and issues related to a specific release. We also have a dedicated category for the Sweep Visualizer, where you can find topics related to the visualizer in general.
The "Support" section of the scanse website offers documentation and tutorials for the visualizer. Check them out here: https://support.scanse.io/hc/en-us/sections/207173067-Sweep-Visualizer
Release Notes v0.11.0-beta
- Added new "MAP" feature
- User can add any number of cartesian 3D point cloud files to a building map
- Added option to export a map comprised of transformed scans into a single merged point cloud
- Added export options during playback of recorded scan files
- JSON - exports the selected range as a normal recording file
- JSON (Merged) - merges the selected range of sweeps together, and exports them as a recording file with a single large sweep
- CSV - exports the selected range as a normal recording file
- CSV (Merged) - merges the selected range of sweeps together, and exports them as a recording file with a single large sweep
- CSV (PointCloud) - merges the selected range of sweeps together, and exports them as a single 3D cartesian point cloud
- Render settings now associated with a specific pointcloud
- Sweep history (decay) now associated with a specific pointcloud
- Added support for using the map while reading from a recording file
- Updated serial protocol to support error codes transmitted in status bytes
- Added motor ready command from the updated serial protocol
- Added 0HZ motor speed option
- Updated serial protocol to support change in motor ready command
- Updated serial protocol to support Rotation Time and Error Count reporting
- Added support for exporting pre-recorded file to PLY format
- PLY ASCII (PointCloud) - merges the selected range of sweeps together, and exports them as a single 3D cartesian point cloud
- PLY Binary (PointCloud) - merges the selected range of sweeps together, and exports them as a single 3D cartesian point cloud
- Revamped firmware update process
- Added colormap support to "Map" scans
- Added support for individual rotation/translation of 3D scans
- Point size computed based off distance to camera
- Opening a recording file will automatically draw the first sweep in the file
- Procedurally generate HTML controls as necessary
- Added more helpful and descriptive error messages for failed file loads
- Reduced time to gather initial info when connecting to a device
- Updated command names and reordered commands in dropdown
- Updated interaction tools to work with transformed points
- Added minimum windows size of 800x600 to avoid distorting the interface elements
- Updated DataTable to show transformed cartesian coordinates, but left the original azimuth and radial distance measurements alone
- Removed .txt support, and made .csv the default file type for saving recordings
- Added and improved tool tips for various buttons
- Added a tooltip warning about reduced accuracy when adjusting sample rate
- Added warning dialog when resetting logs
- Disconnecting from device now exits any active interaction tool and resets camera
- Device model moves with transformed point cloud
- Disabled the button for beginning data acquisition during an active data stream to avoid repeated start commands
- Changed default clustering method to k-means
- Updated naming conventions for interface items
- Miscellaneous improvements to performance and organization
- Fixed error with datablock checksum calculation that did not present unless the data block had an error.
- Fixed bugs in raycasts for interaction tools on 2D sweeps
- Fixed bug where setting both saturation limit sliders to the same value produced an error
- Fixed a bug where transmitting a command with parameters was not working properly
- Fixed a bug where session logging wasn't working after stopping data acquisition
- Fixed a bug where the default sample rate was displayed when connecting to a device, instead of the current sample rate
- Fixed bug where the historical decay sweeps were not included in the sensor reading settings
- Fixed a bug where toggling off decay sweep setting did not remove already drawn decay sweeps
- Fixed a bug where interaction tools did not reset when clicking out of the active tool type
- Fixed a bug where the data table link tool did not work with transformed coordinates
- Fixed a bug where the visualizer would freeze if the device was disconnected while using the interaction tools
- Fixed a bug where valid portnames on MAC were not being selected automatically
- Fixed a bug where k-means clustering tried to use more clusters than points
- Miscellaneous bugfixes
- On certain Mac OSX systems, if the system has an FTDI driver conflict it will fail to recognize the sweep device. In this case, the sweep visualizer fails to load properly and all of the UI elements appear blank and unresponsive. The port dropdown will be empty and most of the UI elements will be broken.
- Small memory leak when updating the HTML in the data table. Temporary fix avoids updating the HTML in the data table unless the data table is the active tab. Proper fix will come in the form of a dynamic back end system for the data table.
- Firmware update on macOS is slow.
- Clustering methods (DBSCAN and OPTICS) can cause errors under certain rare conditions.
Again, we encourage you to report any issues or bugs you encounter and to voice your ideas for new features and tools. This will help us push updates and patches as fast as possible.
- Scanse Team